Personal tools

Personal tools

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.
HISTORY OF THE BAYARD PUBLIC LIBRARY

The Bayard Public Library was first organized in 1936 by the local Woman’s Club and has been in three locations over the years.  From 1936-1962  the library was on the top floor of what is now the city water plant. The present Bayard City Hall was home to the library from 1962 to 1988  and the current facility at the corner of Main and 3rd Street was built in 1988 after demolition of the old Bayard Hotel.
The facility is handicapped accessible and houses a collection of 14,000 items and is open every day except Sunday. It includes a meeting room that also provides an ICN Classroom and has public access computers with high speed internet connections. The Bayard Library is proud to have been one of the first libraries in the state to become accredited and has maintained that accreditation over the years.
Board member Mary Louise Robinson was the first public library trustee in Iowa to be named “Trustee of the Year” by the Iowa Library Association in 1962.  The library was proud to have been chosen by Christie Vilsack as one of 7 in the state to be a pilot community for her Iowa Stories 2000 project.  In 2005 the Bayard Library Board of Trustees was honored with the South West Iowa Library Service Area’s “Vision Award” for outstanding leadership.  The Bayard Public Library has a proud history of setting high goals and maintaining quality service to the community.

Not only are the citizens proud of their library, they use it.  We have quickly become our “community’s family room”.