Medical and Consumer Health
Links to useful information on the Internet
- Contains the licensing background and disciplinary information of physicians and other health care practitioners in Iowa. This site is based on data from the Iowa Board of Medical Examiners.
- Household Products
- On this site you will find health and safety information on household products. It discusses safety hazards and adverse effects. You can enter the name of a household product and the site provides explanations and health information related to automotive products, landscaping, pesticides, cleaning supplies, pet care products, materials relating to arts and crafts, personal care and home maintenance.
- Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals' (DIA) Health Facilities Division (HFD)
- This site includes a directory of long-term care facilities and inspection report cards for a wide variety of health care facilities in Iowa. Visitors to this web site will find a variety of useful information to assist them in the selection of a long-term health care provider.
- Kids Health
- KidsHealth is the largest and most-visited site on the Web providing doctor-approved health information about children from before birth through adolescence. There are sites for parents with practical parenting information, a kids site with homework help, and a teen site with answers, advice and straight talk.
- Mayo Clinic Health
- This consumer health web site from the Mayo Clinic contains an extensive database on diseases and conditions, a Healthy Living Center, healthy lifestyle planners, and drug information. There is a symptom checker and a first aid guide.
- MEDLINEplus provides up-to-date, quality healthcare information from the world's largest medical library, the National Library of Medicine at the National Institutes of Health in English and Spanish. MedlinePlus brings together authoritative information from NLM, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and other government agencies and health-related organizations. MedlinePlus also has extensive information about drugs, an illustrated medical encyclopedia, interactive patient tutorials, and latest health news.
- Merck Manual
- Based on the Merck Manual, this Merck & Co. publication explains disorders, who is likely to get them, their symptoms, how they're diagnosed, how they might be prevented, and how they can be treated. Information about prognosis is also provided.
- PubMed provides access to over 14 million citations in MEDLINE, PreMEDLINE and other related databases, with links to participating online journals. MEDLINE contains bibliographic citations and author abstracts from more than 4,800 biomedical journals published in the United States and 70 other countries. The database contains dating back to the mid-1960's . Coverage is worldwide, but most records are from English-language sources or have English abstracts.
- The WebMD content staff blends award-winning expertise in medicine, journalism, health communication and content creation to bring you the best health information possible. Our esteemed colleagues at MedicineNet.com are frequent contributors to WebMD and comprise our Medical Editorial Board. Our Independent Medical Review Board continuously reviews the site for accuracy and timeliness.